Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Back to normal...almost

Hello, Blog World!

I'm finally back! I had my wisdom teeth taken out on Friday - first surgery ever for me, and I'm quite proud of myself! No panic attacks, freak outs, out right refusal to follow through with this (I'm pretty sure the Valium helped with that - Thanks, Dr. V!).

My Mama took me in on Friday morning - I don't think it will matter how old I am, my Mama just makes me feel like everything is going to be just fine. I check in and pay (OMG at no dental insurance - Dave Ramsey - there goes our emergency fund), and wait around.

By the way, I went to the Chapel Hill office versus the Durham office. Not sure how many of you are familiar with Chapel Hill, but it's full of...let's call them eccentric...people. So, the lobby to the office has CNN on and it has 3 different seating areas. Mama and I were waiting for them to call me back, and this "Chapel Hill" dad sits down a few chairs over in our little seating area. We're looking through mail order magazines, trying to mind our own business. This guy - he's listening to the newscast, and just keeps mumbling about the government, and they're the reason why our economy is the way it is, and how he'd like to see Obama do even one thing he promised. Just on and on kind of "under his breath" but not really. Really strange. People - this is typical of Chapel Hill - which is why I stay in Hillsborough. North of it really, as Chapel Hill-ians are migrating north. I don't like it, I tell ya!

But, off my soap box, and back to the I finally get called back, because I'm still a little nervous about the whole thing. So I go into the room, and the nurse/assistant (not sure what they are at an oral surgeon's office) puts on the blood pressure cuff hooked up to the machine, and then the pulse reader on my finger. And I wait for what feels like forever, again (when in reality, it was probably, maybe, 10-15 minutes), for the doctor to come in and do his thing. He puts in the IV, they place the oxygen mask over my nose, a few deep breaths, and I was sleeping like a baby!

I wake up in a wheel chair in the recovery room where a nurse/assistant is telling my Mama what to do, what I can and can't do/have, getting all the forms and prescriptions that we have to pick up before we go home - all that stuff. Then a really nice man wheeled me out to Mama's truck, and we were on our way.

I distinctly remember Mama calling my Dad, Marc, and my grandma to let them know I was doing okay. I also specifically remember telling Mama to tell Marc that my lips felt as big as his. I was drugged, though! =.) Who am I kidding? I would have said that, drugged or not! =.)

We stopped by CVS on the way home to pick up the prescriptions, and we ran into Jessica, Royce's fiance. She bought me a tea - it was great! Thanks, Jess! And because I'm hardheaded, I just had to go inside with Mama. While inside, I saw my step-grandma, Shirley. Random.

After that, we went to Food Lion to pick up something edible for me with my mouth all out of whack. I think I slept while Mama was in the store, then we went through the drive through at CVS, and were on our way home.

So, basically, we just hung out and watched TV at the house all day on Friday. The pain meds made me sick, so I only took two of them before deciding it wasn't worth it. So I've just been taking the mega Ibuprofen since. I'm only taking them twice a day, now, instead of 4 times a day.

How am I doing, you ask? I'm doing really well! I went back to work on Monday, and it was tough! All I wanted to do was sleep (and I don't think the time change helped). Yesterday was my best good to know that it will get better each day.

How serious was the surgery? My top 2 teeth had already come in, so they were just pulled. The bottom 2 were impacted, so they had to be surgically removed. I've got stitches in the bottom (and I keep feeling them with my tongue - I have to consciously make the effort not to touch them) and then just holes in the back on the top of my mouth. It's the strangest thing, really!

Last night, I was craving food - just real food, instead of all these startchy foods (I'm really tired of potatos and rice!). So, Marc and I went with Chris to The Wooden Nickel for wing night. It was packed - gotta love wing night and warmer weather. It was a gorgeous night - we sat on the side walk and enjoyed "fried tots"(this guy beside us just kept going on and on about how awesome the "fried tots" were! How else are you going to cook tots at a restaurant? Really? Bake 'em?) and some wings. I think I might have overdone it a bit with the wings, though. They were soooo good, though!

I'm sorry if I've grossed you out with my mouth descriptions. However, if you haven't yet had your wisdom teeth removed, have no fear. It was a pretty easy and seemless process for me. If you're in my area - definitely recommend Dr. Vandersea - he even called Friday night to see how I was doing!

Happy Hump Day!

Oh, yeah - I said I'd get Mama to take pictures of my face so you could see the swelling - I was really lucky and there was hardly any swelling, so no need for a pic! I didn't really want to put up a close up of me, anyways!

"Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father..." Matthew 13:43

No comments: