Friday, May 1, 2009

Friday!

Do you ever feel yourself working for the weekend? I know I do. On Monday, I come into work and think, "Only five more days, and it'll be the weekend." And I get mad at myself for thinking this way! I'm wishing days away, when there are so many people who are just excited to be here in this day, in this moment. I want to be like that! And not because I'm scared to not be here on earth, even though I am a little, but because God blesses me every time I open my eyes to a new day.

So, one of my goals for the rest of this year (and my life) is to live in the moment - that I not miss what's going on around me because I'm anticipating what's to come.


"For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul." Proverbs 2:10

***
And onto more of my week's events...I got a call on Sunday from a co-worker, there are only three of us, and said that her husband had died in a motorcycle accident that afternoon. I really look up to and respect this lady. She has a heart for God and she's so humble. And my heart just aches for her. And what can you say to someone who has lost their spouse? I just feel like there is so much more in my heart than words can say to her. I think she has an idea of that, but I hate that there are some situations where words can never do justice for what you feel. So, if you would, please pray for Brenda, and just lift her up to God for comfort. She's a special lady. She told me today that she had witnesseed more in the past three days than she ever has. Even amidst all of this, God is blessing her life.

So, while Brenda has been out dealing with all that goes along with a death, I've been at work covering some of her jobs, as well as my own. And can I just say - I'm exhausted. I really just wanted to pull the covers over my head, turn off the alarm clock, and sleep in this morning. My week has just been slammed with stuff. On top of visiting Brenda at her home, attending the visitation and the funeral, I've also been to a church meeting, and then I went with my Mama to a Celebrating Home open house last night. (I did get some really cute stuff for the kitchen, though! From the Simply Summer Collection, if you're looking) It's been a really long week, which is what has opened my eyes to the wishing away the days problem I wrote about above.

My cure for this long week? Tonight is our local Relay for Life event. If you're not familiar with Relay for Life, you can go here to read more about it. It's an organization that is close to my heart. I've lost several family members and friends to cancer, and I have some family who are currently fighting the battle. My favorite part of the event? The luminaries (yay for Kelli who is in charge of tonight's luminaries) that will look something like this:

This organization, The American Cancer Society, raises money through these events every year across the nation for research to help find a cure and prevention methods against cancer. And every event starts with a Survivor's Lap, which gives more hope. The end of my week will be surrounded by Hope, and I can't imagine a better thing to be a part of.
So, while I am really excited that today is Friday, and that my weekend is so much closer than it was on Monday, I'm more thankful that I am here to live my life for each day God gives me. I pray that I am a light for Him, and that He use me for His purpose.
“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”- Hebrews 11:6

No comments: